Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Cayle Chernin's Blog

Cayle Chernin's Blog

Hello Out There!
(A beautiful play by William Saroyan)

It was wonderful to work last night. Bob Desrosiers (*correct spelling) and I did a scene from IN THE BEDROOM, Tom Wilkinson, Sissy Spacek flick. Difficult scene taking place after their son has been murdered by his girlfriend's ex husband..ugly, because the confront is riddled with pain and msconception, but it resolves to where they come back together.

* my techno ineptness rears its head in things like - I don't know how to re-edit a previous blog - I spelled Bob's last name wrong and then couldn't correct it - which makes this the daring blog days, no net...should I quit now?

I have to to have lunch with Mother over at George Brown College where she is taking one of her 'courses' - the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. My Mother Beryl Adeline Moraff Chernin would be horrified if she knew I was even mentioning her name. She used to tell me in no uncertain terms as a teenager that I'd better not write about her...Or as Ted Allan's Mother once asked him (and its the title of one of his books of short stories) "Don't you know anyone else"...

It appears that The Toronto Film Festival will be honouring Don Owen with a Retrospective which is really wonderful..It just shows to go you that if you survive long enough things come to pass..one of the films mentioned was PARTNERS (1976) which he did with Hollis McLaren (sp?) and MICHAEL MARGOTTA. Don met Margotta in L.A. through Rosie Shuster (then Roz Michaels) and I and cast him as the American renegade, Hollis as the all Canadian girl. Martin Knelman cites it: "for sheer novelty...the only movie ever made in which love story and thriller elements are combined with ringing declarations of Canadian Nationalism and dire warnings about the risk of US takeover"...well now doesn't that just sound ...'timely'.

I wonder if Don will wear his leopard-skin pillbox hat to the Fest.