Friday, July 22, 2005

Canadian Film Ambassador, I

This from:
Katherine Brodsky
katherine@firstweekendclub.ca
FWC Public Relations/Ambassador Program Coordinator

Congratulations! We've gotten lots and lots of wonderful submissions for
Canadian Film Ambassadors, ranging from funny/witty to profound and
strange. And YOU made it.
We'd like to welcome you aboard First Weekend Club's Canadian Film
Ambassador Team. .
You can post on our brand new forum at: http://forum.firstweekendclub.ca

Part of what we're trying to achieve with FWC is the growth of a film
community and the forum is a crucial aspect of that in terms of providing
Canadian film lovers & industry with a place to gather and chat.

I'm looking forward to getting involved and seeing lots of Canadian Films. I opened in Sara's Cave in Brampton last night which runs through July 31. (see home page for details) After that I shall take my Ambassador-ship to heart.

In the meantime at Katherine's request I wrote about Anita Doren's new film and the passing of Richard Leiterman.


THE END OF SILENCE, first feature from ANITA DORON
Anita Doron's The End Of Silence gives us a Russian Ballerina's period of
defection and love affair with a free country and free love. It is not
only written and directed, but also shot by her. Brilliantly. The images she
creates with her actors who include Sarah Harmer in I think her acting
debut and an impressive one it is, take us into this moment of time and
its resolution with compelling and excruciating truth and depth.

Anita has achieved the intimacy that is her strength and purpose and created a
unique, beautiful and moving film. One producer said to me that she loved the
film and thought Anita was a great talent, but that there was no money in
it..hum, I wonder what would have happened to Atom Agoyan if Andre Bennet
had felt that way and not invested in and distributed Agoyan's early work.

ON THE SAD PASSING OF BRILLIANT CANADIAN DOP RICHARD LEITERMAN

I last ran into Richard Leiterman at the release of Goin' Down The Road's
35 mm print at the Toronto Film festival a few years ago. I hadn't really seen him since the early 70ies but we were laughing with Don Shebib like it was yesterday about a potential follow up to GDTR. What happened to Betty,Pete, Joey and speaking for myself, Selina? That sense of being right back in time, hanging out on set, his ease and warmth reminded me that I had found him to be a sweet and talented man. My husband Dwight McFee worked with Richard in Vancouver on Danger Bay among other shows early in his career and remembers him the same way: "Great to be around, very helpful, put you right at ease around the camera".